Don’t Blame Buhari For Failing To Rescue All Chibok Girls – Presidency
Femi Adesina, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, has declared that the responsibility for the failure to rescue all of the Chibok Girls should not fall solely on President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration.
During an appearance on Channels Television’s breakfast program, Sunrise Daily on Thursday, Adesina spoke about the challenges faced by public officials when leaving office and acknowledged that no one is perfect.
“In 2015, we knew where Nigeria was, today we know where we are… Two hundred and sixty-seven were spirited away, about 57 escaped immediately, and over 100 have been returned by the administration.
“The ones that are left, I think 90-something, they are Nigerians, they have the right to be brought back,” he said about the girls who were kidnapped in 2014.
“But then, if a government came in when the trail was already cold and you couldn’t trace where the girls were taken, you can’t then blame it solely for not bringing them back, that would not be quite right. Dachi girls were taken under the administration, and within the week they were recovered except maybe five including Leah Sharibu sadly.”
Adesina maintained that the government had been proactive in responding to the Chibok Girls’ kidnapping when it first occurred.
He went on to explain that it is now the responsibility of the incoming administration to take up the task of recovering the remaining girls.
“I believe that with the Chibok Girls, we should rather appreciate God and appreciate the government for what was achieved. It is not as if the government folded its hands and didn’t do anything, it did its level best.
“And because the government is a continuum, the incoming government, if it recovers more of those girls, the country will gladly receive them,” he said during the show.